The Tax Department gives you the ability to modify or change your bank and personal information after filing your income tax return (ITR), even after you’ve done so. Even yet, after submitting your ITR, you feel the need to amend these facts.

If the taxpayer’s bank account, address, phone number, or email address change after the ITR has been uploaded, they can edit these details by clicking “Change ITR Form Particulars.” Only before the return is processed is there a time when an update can be made.

The My Bank Account function is available to all registered taxpayers on the e-Filing site (post-login) who have a valid PAN and a valid bank account. You may perform the following with this service:

How you can place a Request for the Changes?

The income tax department has clarified that a taxpayer can update their details after the filing of the income tax return. Taxpayers can make changes to their bank account, address, mobile number and e-mail ID using the feature ‘Change ITR Form Particulars’ under the e-filing portal.

The tax department used to handle tax returns in a month starting on the date of submission. However, the income tax division now processes tax returns relatively quickly, within a week.

Let’s imagine that after submitting your return, you decide to update your cell number or alter your permanent residence.

Sometimes when filing an ITR, the incorrect bank information is submitted, which prevents the refund from being received. The taxpayer can use this facility to update their bank information without having to modify their ITR. Similar circumstances apply to the email address, phone number, and address. The taxpayer can thus make changes without submitting a revised ITR.

Taxpayers can request by following the steps mentioned below:

  1. Log in to the ‘e-filing’ portal
  2. Go to the tab ‘My Account’ located on the top left-hand side of the page.
  3. Under the ‘My Account’ tab, choose ‘Service Request’.  Under ‘Service Request’, choose ‘Request Type’ as ‘New Request’. Next, under ‘Request Category’, choose ‘Change ITR Form Particulars’. Then click ‘Submit’.
  4. A new screen displays ‘Change ITR Form Particulars’. The taxpayer’s PAN would be displayed. The taxpayer is required to enter ‘Acknowledgement Number’ of the ITR here.
  5. In the next screen, a taxpayer has options for ‘Changing Bank Account Details’, ‘Change Address Details’ and ‘Change E-Mail ID/Mobile Number Details’. Here, the taxpayer has to choose the necessary option, provide the necessary information and submit the request.
  6. Once your request for ‘Change in ITR Form particulars’ is submitted, a success message would display on the screen with a transaction ID. 

Do note that taxpayers can make the ‘Request’ only before the processing of the ITR. 

After submitting the ‘Service Request’ mentioned above, you can view the status of your request as below:

  1. Log in to the ‘e-filing’ portal
  2. Go to the tab ‘My Account’ located on the top left-hand side of the page. 
  3. Under the ‘My Account’ tab, choose ‘Service Request’.
  4. Under ‘Service Request’, choose ‘Request Type’ as ‘View Request’. Next, under the ‘Request Category’, choose ‘Change ITR Form Particulars’. Then click ‘Submit’. The ‘Transaction ID’ will be displayed. Click on the ‘Transaction ID’ to know the status of the ‘Request’.

How to choose/nominate a Bank Account to get a Refund

Step 1: Enter your user ID and password to access the e-Filing site.

Step 2: From the Dashboard, navigate to the My Profile page.

Click My Bank Account in step three.

Step 4: To nominate a bank account for a return, click the Nominate for Refund toggle or switch for that account.

Step 5: To designate the chosen bank account, click Continue to confirm your decision.

The switch will turn to the right if it is successful.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *